Disability Support Services

The Assistant Vice President for Student Affairs coordinates Midway University’s disability support services in compliance with Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990, as amended. When appropriate, the University provides reasonable accommodations designed to enable students to equitably participate in and benefit from the University’s programs, services, and activities, provided that such accommodations would not:

  1. fundamentally alter the nature or operation of the University’s programs, services, or activities,
  2. cause undue hardship to the University, or
  3. pose a direct threat to the health or safety of others.

Obtaining Accommodations

The Assistant Vice President for Student Affairs works to provide accommodations for students through a confidential and supportive process.

  • Students should be aware that accommodations are not retroactive. Every reasonable effort will be made to provide the appropriate reasonable accommodations, but certain accommodations may take time to coordinate.
  • Students seeking disability support services should initiate the process by contacting the Assistant Vice President for Student Affairs. Because each person’s situation is unique, this initial conversation will determine the direction that the process will take. The Assistant Vice President for Student Affairs will talk to the student about documentation during the initial conversation.
  • If third-party documentation is needed, students should provide documentation from a qualified, licensed professional appropriate to the nature of the disability and requested accommodations. See below for Documentation Guidelines.
  • Records created by schools that the student has attended previously may also be helpful to the process of determining appropriate accommodations, including documents that reflect education and accommodation history, such as Individual Education Program (IEP), Summary of Performance (SOP), and teacher observations.
  • After talking with the student, reviewing any documentation that has been submitted, and consulting with faculty and staff members as necessary, the Assistant Vice President for Student Affairs will identify reasonable accommodations. These accommodations and the supporting documentation are subject to regular review and modification.
  • Appropriate faculty or staff members will be notified of established accommodations upon the request of the student to whom they apply. Information regarding a student’s specific diagnosis will only be shared with a faculty or staff member on a “need to know” basis, usually as it pertains to arranging accommodations.
  • Requests for faculty notification must be made by the student each term (semester or module) by contacting the Assistant Vice President for Student Affairs and identifying the individuals to whom the notification of accommodations should be sent.

Documentation Guidelines

If documentation is needed for the process of determining accommodations, the student should give a Documentation of Disability to each licensed professional who will provide supporting information. Documentation that is provided by licensed professionals may be given to the student to submit, or it may be sent directly to the Assistant Vice President for Student Affairs at the address, fax number or e-mail address stated on the request form.
Third party documentation is most helpful when it:

  • is comprehensive and current (the definition of current depends upon the diagnosis, as some disabilities are more likely than others to change over time),
  • indicates how the disability substantially limits a major life activity of the individual, and/or provides evidence of current impairment, as well as functional impact,
  • describes current and past accommodations and services,
  • suggests accommodations and academic adjustments and includes rationale,
  • is conducted by a properly credentialed, qualified evaluator, appropriate to the disability, who does not have a personal relationship with the student or the student’s family, and
  • includes testing and examination dates as well as the contact information and relevant credentials of the diagnosing evaluator.

Further information about accommodations for students with disabilities may be obtained by contacting the Assistant Vice President for Student Affairs at (859) 846-5390.

Disability Testing Resources

Students who need testing or assistance with accommodations can contact one of these two offices for psychological, cognitive and other testing.

  • Kentucky Office of Vocational Rehabilitation | Central Office | 275 East Main Street | Mail Drop 2EK | Frankfort, KY 40621 | 800-372-7172 (V/TTY)
    • They can perform testing of cognitive abilities, aptitude, personality, and adaptive functioning and can help with providing assistive technology.
    • Although they are called Vocational Rehabilitation, they can perform testing for students wanting to attend college, and not only for job placement.
  • Beaumont Behavioral Health | 1030 Monarch St | Lexington, KY 40513 | 859-296-3141
    • They provide psychological assessment and take many insurance policies.


Request for Accommodations
Documentation of Disability Request Form
Animal Policy

If you have questions about student services and what is available, contact our Student Affairs Office at any time. 859.846.5390


More Events >

Admissions Events

More Events >

Virtual Tour

Request Information

Apply Now