Sometimes the best learning experiences are outside the classroom and worlds away!
Midway University offers three distinct programs to enhance our students’ education experience: Study Aboard, Service Learning Abroad, and Faculty-Led Programs.
Study Abroad opportunities at Midway University are limitless. Students are able to select from a variety of countries and program types through many different study abroad providers, like IPSL and ISA.
Study Abroad Fairs are held on campus twice a year, at which students can interact with these organizations and gain in-depth information.
Visit these study abroad websites to find the right program for you:
- Go Overseas
- A Parent Guide to Study Abroad
- Information on Study Abroad for DACA Recipients
Service Learning Abroad
True to our Mission, Vision, and Values, Midway University promotes learning through serving. Through organizations like Global Volunteers and IPSL, students are able to learn by working towards social and economic justice in the communities they serve.
In summer 2015, three students volunteered with Global Volunteers in St. Lucia. They served alongside locals in a primary school and on a community construction project. In their free time, they were able to enjoy the local cuisine and see the sites!
Read about Hristina Ostojic’s Experience in St. Lucia.
Equine Study Abroad
The equine industry is an international industry, both in how and with whom business is conducted. In order to best educate those who will be involved in this industry, Midway University has partnered with Universidad de Panama Veterinary School and Haras Cerro Punta, a thoroughbred horse breeding farm, to provide our equine students the opportunity to experience the farm operations and excellent breeding, foaling, and facility management practices in Panama.
The semester-long program during spring consists of a one-week pre-departure orientation, 12 weeks abroad in a structured intensive curricular and co-curricular program, and a two-week re-entry course. The time of year has been selected so the students experience the breeding and foaling activities that coincide in the northern and southern hemispheres.
Students wishing to learn about one or all of these programs can contact the Office of International Programs at any time throughout the year.
Photo courtesy IPSL.
Midway in Italy
Since 1999, the Umbra Institute has been hosting students and professors in Perugia, Italy; encouraging academic pursuits that promote intercultural exploration, interdisciplinary understanding, professional development, and personal growth.
While the Institute offers semester, summer, and year-long programming, Dr. Angela Tumini is preparing to teach a Midway course in Perugia in 2019, from May 24 through June 29.
Learn. Explore. Discover.
Have you considered studying abroad, but are not sure whether it’s worth your time? If you ask anybody who has studied abroad, she will most certainly tell you that it is a life-changing experience and one of the most rewarding things she has ever done! Perhaps you’re not certain what benefits you can reap from an extended stay in a foreign country. Here are 10 very excellent reasons why you should take the plunge:
- Study abroad is the optimal way to learn a language. There is no better and more effective way to learn a language than to be immersed in a culture that speaks the language you are learning.
- Study abroad provides the opportunity to travel. Weekends and academic breaks allow you to venture out and explore your surroundings – both your immediate and more distant surroundings.
- Study abroad allows you get to know another culture first-hand. Cultural differences are more than just differences in language, food, appearances, and personal habits.
- Study abroad will help you develop skills and give you experiences a classroom setting will never provide. Being immersed in an entirely new cultural setting is scary at first, but it’s very exciting!
- Study abroad affords you the opportunity to make friends around the world. While abroad, you will meet not only natives to the culture in which you are studying, but also other international students who are as far from home as yourself.
- Study abroad helps you to learn about yourself. Students who study abroad return home with new ideas and perspectives about themselves and their own culture. The experience abroad often challenges them to reconsider their own beliefs and values.
- Study abroad expands your worldview. In comparison with citizens of most other countries, Americans tend to be uninformed about the world beyond the nation’s boundaries. Students who study abroad return home with an informed and much less biased perspective toward other cultures and peoples.
- Study abroad gives you the opportunity to break out of your academic routine. Study abroad is likely to be much unlike what you are used to doing as a student.
- Study abroad enhances employment opportunities. Did you know that only 4% of U.S. undergraduates ever study abroad? Yet, the world continues to become more globalized, American countries are increasingly investing dollars abroad, and companies from countries around the world continue to invest in the international market.
- Study abroad can enhance the value of your degree. While abroad, you can take courses you would never have had the opportunity to take on your home campus.
Financial aid may be available for your study abroad program. If you are enrolled in a study abroad program approved for credit by Midway University, you may qualify to receive federal financial aid, including Pell Grants and Stafford student loans, or other types of state and institutional aid. See your financial aid counselor for a personal evaluation.
Foundation for Global Scholars Available for all study abroad locations and areas of study.
Gilman International Scholarship Available to undergraduate students receiving Federal Pell Grants. Summer/Fall applications are due by March 1 and Winter/Spring applications are due October 1st.
Go Overseas Available for all study abroad locations and areas of study.
The Honor Society of Phi Kappa Phi Study Abroad Grants Available for all study abroad locations and areas of study.
IEFA Available to US and international students wishing to study abroad.
Office of International Programs
Little Memorial Library, Rm. 102
Dr. Angela Tumini, Director of International Programs