MSN Admission & Program Requirements
Applications to the MSN program will be reviewed throughout the year. It is strongly recommended that prospective students complete the application process 2-3 months prior to the semester within which they would like to begin matriculating.
- Complete the application process for Midway University.
- Complete the application process for the MSN Nursing Program including the following:
- Must have BSN degree from CCNE or ACEN accredited program whose parent institution is regionally accredited. Degrees from foreign institutions will be reviewed on an individual basis.
- Recommend a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.0 in nursing (on a 4.0 scale).
- Must hold current and unencumbered registered nurse (RN) license in Kentucky or compact state. Practicum must be completed within the state of Kentucky.
- Submit professional resume or curriculum vitae.
- Participate in interview with the Dean of the School of Health Sciences or designee.
- Three (3) professional MSN Recommendation Forms are required with your application. The strongest recommendations are from managers, directors, professors or others in a supervisory capacity. Recommendations from friends, other students, co-workers, or family members are not acceptable.
- Writing requirement: Applicants must submit a typed paper on their professional goals and how graduate study will support those goals (limit 2 pages).
RN (ADN)-MSN Bridge Program
In addition to the above admission requirements, applicants to the RN (ADN)-MSN Bridge option must also include the following admission criteria:
- Must have ADN degree from CCNE or ACEN accredited program whose parent institution is regionally accredited. Degrees from foreign institutions will be reviewed on an individual basis.
In addition to meeting the above requirements for admission, applicants who fall into any of the following categories should supply an official TOEFL score:
- Born outside the United States;
- For whom English is a second language;
- Have a degree or transcripts from a non-U.S. institution.
A score of 550 (paper-based), 213 (computer-based) or 79-80 (Internet based) or higher on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) will be required of those who are not U.S. citizens and for whom English is not a first language. The TOEFL is offered at several locations within the University’s service area.
- 36 hours of graduate credits in nursing for the education track; 36 hours of graduate credits in nursing and business administration for the administration track.
- Minimum of 30 hours of graduate credits earned in residence at Midway University.
- Maintain a 3.0 GPA out of 4.0 overall grade point average throughout the program in support courses, including electives.
- Students must meet all Midway University graduation requirements for the Masters degree.
- Full-time students must complete degree requirements within six (6) semesters, and part-time students within nine (9) semesters, from time of entry into the MSN program.