An on-campus Commencement ceremony will be held on Saturday, August 8. Due to the current state guidelines that only allow groups of 50 or fewer to gather at one time, we will schedule small groups throughout the day from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Our ceremony will include the graduate’s walk across the stage to receive their diploma while their name, honors and degree earned are read and then the graduate will pose for an official photograph. The ceremony will be held inside but, weather permitting, we will make the amphitheater available for photos. Unless guidelines change, each graduate would only be allowed to bring two guests. The event will not be live-streamed however, we will record the event and produce a video of the full Commencement service and make that available online.
Emails with time slots for graduates to sign up and additional details will be sent out at the end of June. Students who need to order regalia can still do so by July 2 at Jostens. It can take up to 5 weeks for shipment so please order as soon as possible.
All participants in the Commencement processional should be lined up at 10:00 a.m. If the ceremony is outdoors, graduates should line up in the lobby of the Anne Hart Raymond Center. If Commencement is moved indoors, please line up in the Piper Dining Hall in the McManis Student Center.
It is the University’s desire that the graduation ceremony reflect the honor, respect, and dignity of this important day. In keeping with these goals, we ask that you observe the following guidelines:
- Please silence all noise making electronic devices during the ceremony.
- No noise-making devices, bull horns, glass bottles, or cans are allowed.
- We ask that you be respectful of graduates and other guests by holding applause and celebration until after all graduates have walked across the stage.
- Guests may honor their graduate by standing when their graduate’s name is announced.
- Please keep young children with you at all times.
- Guests should remain seated until the ceremony comes to a close and the procession has ended. Every graduate has worked hard to earn this day and having guests leave during the ceremony is disruptive.
- If we are in the gym and should the need arise that you must leave the ceremony, please exit through one of the rear doors.
- Personal photography or videography is allowed during Commencement but individuals are asked to not approach the stage at any time or block the aisle and to respect other audience members and not block their view. There are professional photographers working during this event to ensure that a quality image is captured of this special moment. In addition, please do not stand near any of the video equipment or on the cords as this could impact the live broadcast of this event.
Have additional questions or concerns regarding Commencement or any other year-end activities? Contact the Student Affairs Office at 859-846-5390