Skip to main content
  • Military Students

Midway University works with our military students and understands their needs. We have special admission and academic policies that help our military students earn their degree and make accommodations for changing military schedules and service.

Military Science - Reserve Officer Training Program (ROTC)

Midway University participates in a formal arrangement with the United States Army’s Reserve Officer Training Corps (ROTC) through the Department of Military Science and also with the Department of Aerospace Studies (Air Force ROTC) with the University of Kentucky, Lexington, Kentucky. Through this agreement, students pursuing a bachelor’s degree may participate in ROTC classes. Find out more about the ROTC program in the academic catalog.

Credit for Military Service

A student who has served or is serving in any branches of the military can receive credit for military training, workshops, job experience, etc. To obtain this credit, students work with the Midway University VA Certifying Official to obtain the proper military transcript and then go through an approved review process to determine what credit qualifies for academic credit.

Military Service Withdrawal

Sometimes military students need to withdraw as they are deployed or reassigned. Midway University works with our military students on this process. In many cases students don’t even have to withdraw as they are taking courses on our online platform and can continue from anywhere. Our programs are also designed so students can stop for one 8-week module and start in the next module.

If called to active duty, a student (or student who is a spouse/dependent child of a member of the military called to active duty, and who needs to withdraw due to the call-up), should contact the Student Affairs Office. Appropriate documentation must be submitted to Student Affairs and a withdraw interview must be completed. The documentation includes military service orders with formal correspondence on unit letterhead signed by the commander requesting military withdraw due to the orders. If the student is called to active military service before the midpoint of a term, the student may request a withdraw from some or all courses and the University will fully refund their tuition and mandatory fees for the withdrawn courses . If the student is called to active duty military service during the term, the student may make arrangements with their instructors to remain enrolled in some or all of their courses and will be assigned an “I” grade (Incomplete) for each course in which they remain enrolled. In such a case, no adjustment of tuition charges for enrolled courses will occur. Student have until the end of the next academic term following their release from military service to complete the course. Failure to do so will result in the “I” grade becoming an “F” grade.

A student receiving Veteran’s Benefits should notify the VA Certifying Official in order to complete required documents. Military withdrawal students are eligible for “military re-enrollment” to the University, assuring the student access to the same major and location as was assigned at the time of withdrawal (or the most similar one, if same program does not exist). The re-enrollment fee for both undergraduate and graduate students will be waived.

Veteran Affairs (VA) Benefits

Midway University is pleased to assist veterans who wish to earn their degree. Whether you are interested in attending our traditional undergraduate programs on campus or earning your degree through our accelerated evening or online programs, we are here to assist you.
VA Benefits Table
Type Explanation of Benefit How It's Paid/Details*
Chapter 30 Pre-9/11 Full-time students who have served 3 or more years in military receive a monthly stipend of $2,150 (effective 10/1/2021).
Chapter 31 Disability-Based, 100% Coverage Upon proof of eligibility and subsequent enrollment, Midway University's business office sends a bill to the student's VA Counselor to be paid. Students can also receive a stipend for books and other expenses.
Chapter 33 Post 9/11 GI Bill® or Active Duty or Dependent of Soldier Killed In Action Survivors The VA pays the University directly. Total allotment for students receiving 100% benefit is $26,381.37 (effective 8/1/2022-7/31/2023). Those with less than 100% benefit will vary by student.
Chapter 35 Survivors/Dependents, 100% Coverage Benefits are paid to the family, and they are responsible for paying the school. ($1,298 at the end of every month) (effective 10/1/2021).
Chapter 1606 Montgomery GI Bill® – Selected Reserve 1606 is an education program that provides education benefits to members of the Selected Reserve. Includes all branches of the military in addition to Coast Guard Reserves, Army National Guard & Air National Guard. Full-time students receive monthly stipend of $407 (effective 10/1/2021). 

*Rates are subject to change annually. Students should verify with the VA at the time of enrollment for precise figures. GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.

Application Process

Complete the University’s online application.

After acceptance to the University the student presents certificate of eligibility reflecting their chapter.

After the student is enrolled, our VA Certifying Official sends enrollment verification. Monetary values are added after the student matriculates.

The money is typically returned in 1-2 weeks. (Except for Chapter 35, which receives their benefit at the end of the month.) (This time can be longer during peak seasons for the VA.)

Yellow Ribbon

Midway University provides some funds through its Yellow Ribbon program to veterans. Information about eligibility and available funds should be discussed with the Financial Aid Office.

Kentucky National Guard Tuition Award

Active members of the Kentucky National Guard (KNG) must maintain all minimum standards, be eligible for all positive personnel actions and have completed basic training or its equivalent to be eligible. The Kentucky National Guard Tuition Award application is available online, or students can contact the Boone National Guard at 502.607.1039. NOTE: Private colleges are eligible to receive KNG. The amount of the award is based on the rate of public, in-state tuition.

Other Educational Assistance Programs for Service Members and Families:

  • Learn about the Federal Tuition Assistance (TA) program for Active Duty Army, National Guard and Army Reserve Soldiers to explore eligibility and apply for the Tuition Assistance (TA) program.
  • Military Spouse Career Advancement Accounts program Military spouses interested in the MyCAA should visit the MCAA website for eligibility and application.
  • provides a guide to applying for GI Benefits and scholarship information for every branch of the military

Need help determining eligibility or receiving benefits? Contact us!

Erin Teves
Midway University VA Certifying Official

Financial Aid Office