Midway University works with our military students and understands their needs. We have special admission and academic policies that help our military students earn their degree and make accommodations for changing military schedules and service.
Credit for Military Service
A student who has served or is serving in any branches of the military can receive credit for military training, workshops, job experience, etc. To obtain this credit, students work with the Midway University VA Certifying Official to obtain the proper military transcript and then go through an approved review process to determine what credit qualifies for academic credit.
Military Service Withdrawal
Sometimes military students need to withdraw as they are deployed or reassigned. Midway University works with our military students on this process. In many cases students don’t even have to withdraw as they are taking courses on our online platform and can continue from anywhere. Our programs are also designed so students can stop for one 8-week module and start in the next module.
Veteran Affairs (VA) Benefits
Midway University is pleased to assist veterans who wish to earn their degree. Whether you are interested in attending our traditional undergraduate programs on campus or earning your degree through our accelerated evening or online programs, we are here to assist you.
The chart below offers a snapshot of the benefits we offer.
VA Benefits Chart – Midway University
||Explanation of Benefit
||How It’s Paid/Details*
||Full-time students who have served 3 or more years in the military receive a monthly stipend of $1857. Students with less than 3 years enlistment receive $1509 a month. (2016-17 rate)
||Disability-Based, 100% Coverage
||Upon proof of eligibility and subsequent enrollment, Midway University’s business office sends a bill to the student’s VA Counselor to be paid. Students can also receive a stipend for books and other expenses.
||Post 9/11 GI Bill or Active Duty or Dependent of Soldier Killed in Action Survivors
||The VA pays the University directly. Total allotment for students receiving 100% benefit is $22,805 (2017-18 rates). Those with less than 100% benefit will vary by student.
||Survivors/Dependents, 100% Coverage
||Benefits are paid to the family and they are responsible for paying the school. ($1,021 at the end of every month). (2016-17 rate)
* Rates are subject to change annually. Students should verify with the VA at the time of enrollment for precise figures.
Complete the University’s online application at midway.edu/apply.
After acceptance to the University the student presents certificate of eligibility reflecting their chapter.
After the student is enrolled, our VA Certifying Official sends enrollment verification. Monetary values are added after the student matriculates.
The money is typically returned in 1-2 weeks. (Except for Chapter 35 which receives their benefit at the end of the month.) (This time can be longer during peak seasons for the VA.)
Midway University provides some funds through its Yellow Ribbon program to veterans. Information about eligibility and available funds should be discussed with the Financial Aid Office.
Other Educational Assistance Programs for Service Members and Families:
- Federal Tuition Assistance (TA) program Active Duty Army, National Guard and Army Reserve Soldiers should visit www.goarmyed.com to explore eligibility and apply for the Tuition Assistance (TA) program.
- Military Spouse Career Advancement Accounts (MyCAA) program Military spouses interested in the MyCAA should visit https://aiportal.acc.af.mil/MyCAA/ for eligibility and application.
- Kentucky National Guard assistance programs. Members of the Kentucky National Guard should visit www.kheaa.com/website/kheaa/military_ky?main=7 to learn about available federal and state programs.
- A guide to applying for GI Benefits by Affordablecolleges.com
- Scholarship information for every branch of the military by Affordablecolleges.com
Need help determining eligibility or receiving benefits? Contact us!
Craig Snider, Midway University VA Certifying Official | firstname.lastname@example.org | 859.846.5728
Financial Aid Office | FAID@midway.edu | 859.846.5410