Midway College email accounts are granted to our students for the purposes of facilitating communication that relates directly to the student’s academic studies. A Midway College email account is created upon enrollment at the College. By the use of any Midway College email account and/or related network systems, the user agrees to the below policies:
Midway College provides access to the Internet, World Wide Web, electronic mail (e-mail) and related networks to all students. All Midway College computing resource users are expected to practice responsible behavior and to utilize the network in an ethical and legal manner. Appropriate use of these resources is respecting the rights of other computer users, the integrity of the physical facilities, and all technology related Midway College policies. The following outlines a list of guidelines for responsible and ethical behavior on all networks:
• Workstations/computers, computer accounts, and computer files are to be used only by those with proper authorization. The sharing of passwords is strictly prohibited.
• Midway College-owned workstations/personal computers or related equipment can neither be modified nor moved from its installed location without prior approval from the Information Systems Department.
• Do not attempt to access restricted software areas such as the operating system, unless authorized by the appropriate College administrator.
• Abide by all applicable laws.
• Respect the privacy and personal rights of others. Do not access or copy another user’s electronic mail, data, programs, or other files without the author’s permission. All files are private and confidential unless the author specifically makes them available to others.
• Honor all applicable copyright laws and licenses. Both College policies and the law expressly forbid the copying of software that has not been distributed as “freeware” or “shareware”. Reproduction of copyrighted material is subject to the Copyright laws of the United States (Title 17, U.S.C.) and persons can be subject to fines and penalties. All Midway College-owned workstations are assets and all software loaded should be installed from original disks and proof of license kept on college premises at all time. If such software is found to be illegally installed on a unit, the workstation user will first be advised to remove the program, if ignored it will be deleted by Information Systems immediately.
• Computer etiquette should be used at all times: proper and polite communication, being sensitive to feelings of others, and using only your fair share of computing resources.
• Midway College computing resources should not be used for persons to engage in consulting or other business ventures.
• Midway College reserves the right without notice to limit or restrict any campus computer and/or user’s access to inspect, remove or otherwise alter any data, file, or system resource that may undermine the authorized use of any college-owned computing resource or access to the Internet, World Wide Web, electronic mail, or other related network service. The college also reserves the right to periodically check any campus workstation or take any other action necessary to protect its computing resources and access to these networks.